Sunday, October 31, 2010

Working to erase my digital footprint

Does anyone know what it takes to try and wipe your digital footprint from the internet......especially when you have a somewhat uncommon name?  It's impossible.

I've been working to scrub my presence on the internet for HOURS today.  I am "officially" off Facebook, Twitter and MySpace.  I am no longer LinkdIn or Plaxo'd and I have no wishlist on Amazon (not that anyone ever noticed).  Unfortunately, Google's cache remembers every single thing.   

A recent search of my name primarily shows my comments on several blogs.  They are rather mundane comments on family-type blogs.  Actually those comments make me look rather sweet.

I have removed my abandoned blogs. Once again, Google Cache allows them to remain indefinitely.   I am grateful that I had the foresight not to have my name attached to any of those blogs.

I've also changed my email address which doesn't contain a variant of my first and/or last names.  It's not so much that I'm paranoid but who really wants their name floating around the internet decades after they've died?  Pretty creepy, if you ask me.

And this is just one of the reasons I am working to erase my digital footprint. 

No comments:

Post a Comment